Thursday, January 15, 2009

My last day home

Wow, last night was absolutely the WORST nights sleep I've had in a long time! I spent the whole night in that not quite asleep state, thinking about what I needed to do, what was going to happen when I went into surgery, the hospital, all that good stuff. I've got many people now bringing meals when I'm down so that is a HUGE relief. That was one thing that I was really concerned about. Mark just doesn't cook, so it was something I was really worried about. I don't really mind so much that my house is going to be a disaster, it's going to be dirty, and disorganized, but at least my kids and husband will be fed, and to me, that is paramount. I still have much to do today to get ready. I need to finish cleaning the house, which includes sweeping and mopping both the kitchen and the livingroom and diningroom areas (we have pergo floors), I need to vacuum my bedroom and wash the kitchen counters. I only have 1 or 2 loads of laundry to do, and I still need to pack my bags. I know I won't sleep tonight, so getting up really early won't be so painful. I'm really not a morning person, so check in at 7:30 seemed really daunting, but being up super early will be just routine. I've heard that McKenzie Willamette hospital really provides great care and individializes everything, so I'm really hoping to have a good experience. I'm still scared, but who wouldn't be when they've never really had surgery? Right?

We had a great night last night. We went to Cafe Maroc, and it was a really interesting place. I really love ethnic foods and flavors and spices, and this place had lots of it! We sat on pillows in a tent, ate with our hands and watched a belly dancer. I'm told it's quite accurately middle eastern. I wasn't totally crazy about the cinnamon they put in EVERYTHING, but it was really good anyhow. The experience was very unique. They serve lots of Lamb and they even have goat. I really love lamb, I think it's quite tasty when cooked properly, and they certainly did do that! I couldn't taste any of the game-y flavor that lamb can sometimes have. It was funny, we all ordered different entrees, but we all decided we would share so that we could try everyones. I really had a hard time eating with my fingers, and an even harder time sticking my fingers in someone else's bowl to try some of theirs. It wasn't so bad sticking my fingers in Mark's bowl, but he's my husband, it was difficult sticking them in his bosses and his wife's bowl though. LOL. Apparently they had eaten in this manner before and were totally comfortable sharing our food and just jumped right in. I was amused that you spend your whole childhood being taught and told NOT to eat with your fingers, but to use your utensils, then you go to a place like this, and they say "alright, eat with your fingers!", it just seemed so unnatural LOL. The food was good besides the cinnamon. I like cinnamon, but I don't think I like it THAT much. I'm not crazy about it in my meats. Some applications were better than others, but it had a tendancy to make the meats sweet, and I never have much cared for sweet meats, but to someone who really likes cinnamon and sweet meats, this place would be perfect. It really was a great experience. The atmosphere was really amazing. It was almost like being in a different country, with the music, the decor and the belly dancer. I was pleased with the experience. We all had a really good time, and I hope that we can do something interesting like that again. It was completely new for both Mark and I.

1 comment:

Rebeca said...

Sounds like it was fun! (The dinner, not the sleepless night!) I'm praying for you, and hope the surgery goes well tomorrow. I had my first two babies and MW and they are great. I think I'm brining you a meal on Wednesday- do like Thai? Or Indian? I'll be in touch about what we have lined up for you.
Rebeca