Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Bad day anyone?

Today has been a horrible day. Ok, so this whole week has been bad. Some of you know that I've had constant pain in my knees, back, neck and muscle aches. I have suffered from insomnia for more than a year, and chronic migraines and headaches. So I finally broke down today and went to the doctor. He spent almost 45 minutes with me, which is unheard of at this office. We talked, I told him what was going on and how frustrated I've been with this seemingly invisible problem. My blood tests are normal, my urine tests are normal, I had a CT scan that was normal, ultrasounds which were all normal. For all accounts, they could find nothing wrong with me. After going through all of this for the last year and a half, my new doctor actually sat down and looked me in the eye. I started crying, because I finally felt like someone cared! I told him all my issues, told him that I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my head, like I was going crazy. I've complained about all of these problems for years, and according to all accounts "I am normal and there's nothing wrong with me". Nobody understood, until this new doctor. He poked around different parts of my body, squished my muscles, and actually pulled my chart up on the computer! As he was looking and talking and poking and prodding, he finally connected the dots. I have a diagnosis, and I'm not crazy! I have fibromyalgia. While it's a crummy diagnosis, and it certainly isn't something I WANT to have, I'm glad to know I am not crazy, and I am not going to die. It's just a nice feeling to be understood, and listened to. It's something that will be manageable, but it will take time to figure out which concoction of medications will help me the best and make my life easier. I am now on 6 different daily medications, and I'm praying that these will work, and if not, this doctor will help me find the combination that will. It's a bad day, but it a good day. Hard to explain the feelings right now. Might be the new meds, who knows.

2 comments:

Rebeca said...

I was just wondering about you. Hope you get a handle on the new diagnosis. My MIL has fibromyalgia and finds that the damp cool weather really makes it worse. Blessings!
Rebeca

Themorrisbunch said...

Oh my, I am sorry to hear that.
You and your family will be added in our daily prayers.